Add Links to Blogger Page List Widget & Mobile Template

If you dislike Blogger's new interface as much as I do, chances are you overlooked the one thing it has over the classic interface: an ability to add web addresses to the Page List widget. I don't know if it was always there or if it was something they recently added but I made the discovery over the weekend. I was asked to give some feedback about the new interface and so I went over every UI element in fine detail. It was during my review that I discovered this.

screenshot: adding links to Blogger's Page List widget

Follow these directions to add links to the Page List Widget.

1. Go to Pages.
  2. Click on New page.
  3. Select Web address.

Simple, right? I checked and unfortunately this new feature is only available in Blogger's updated dashboard interface. I something tells me they won't be adding it to the classic interface. I have nothing to base this on but I'm guessing new features will appear in the updated interface from now on.

By the way, I notice we're now allowed to have 20 unique pages. In the beginning you were only allowed 10.

How This Affects The Mobile Template

Web addresses also appear in the mobile template as part of the Page List widget. This right now is probably the only way to make something appear in mobile view but not in desktop view. To do so you would have to add the web address to the Page List widget but block it from appearing in your template. Since Blogger ignores your template when generating the mobile view the link will not be blocked.

Dynamic Views

Blogger's Dynamic Views does not display web addresses. I've sent feedback about this and expect it to be fixed eventually. It wouldn't hurt if you also sent them feedback. Squeaky wheel gets the grease!

10 Comments

Alain-Christian - #
September 28, 2011 at 1:08 AM
LOL, did I really have to start off with, "If you dislike Blogger's new interface as much as I do"? That's sound so mean! Yet, something about that phrasing makes me chuckle.
TS - #
September 28, 2011 at 6:01 AM
nice compilation
Iconia - #
September 30, 2011 at 3:09 AM
Thanks for the tips, now I prefer using the old blogger dashboard. I am less convenient with the new blogger interface.
homebiss - #
November 4, 2011 at 5:19 PM
Alain,

Do you have any idea how we could populate our (Blogger) blogs with proper schema.org microdata?

It would be great if you could show some examples.

Thanks.
slowbizz - #
December 5, 2011 at 12:03 PM
While browsing website speaking about Dynamic View, I came across yours. As far as I'm concerned, I love Dynamic View. It enabled me to start a nice social network. You can check it out here: Slowbizz.com I'm waiting for the widgets support to add a layer of interactivity but it's a nice start. Experts comments welcome.
George B. Moga - #
January 21, 2012 at 5:18 PM
In reply to homebiss' question about integration with schema.org, I did a try sometime last year, but I quickly encountered a lot of problems, leaving me to think it's not really possible at this stage, not without tons of manual work. You can read about it here: schema.org and Blogger don’t mix well together
Clommot - #
February 3, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Hi There, can you please help me to display any widget in mobile viewing, I saw A tutorial bout it yesterday but unluckily I did not bookmark it.
Alain-Christian Seraphin - #
March 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM
I haven't played with the mobile templates yet but there's a blog post on the official Blogger Developers Network about them: Introducing custom mobile templates | Blogger Developers Network.
Jarrett Johnson - #
June 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM
hey so how do i block the page list widget from appearing on the desktop view
Alain-Christian Seraphin - #
July 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM
@Jarrett Johnson
Well, as of now you can customize the mobile template to your liking. So I suppose just exclude the widget as you would anything else from the desktop template.